The Town Clerk is the official Corporate Secretary to Town Council, appointed to office by Town Council pursuant to provincial legislation (currently the Municipal Act, 2001).
The Town Clerk is the Returning Officer who is responsible for and conducts the regular municipal elections every four years. The Clerk receives nominations from candidates for the office of mayor, councillor, trustee for each of four school boards, and the Rainy River District Social Services Administration Board (Central) representative for territory without municipal organization. The Clerk is also the Returning Officer for all municipal by-elections and elections for which Council seeks a response from the electors to a question on the ballot.
The Town Clerk prepares agendas for meetings of Council and keeps minutes of the meetings of Council. All supporting materials for business to be considered at meetings of Council must be filed with the Town Clerk by the established deadline noon Thursday prior to the meeting.
The Town Clerk receives applications from persons wanting to appear before Council as a delegation at a meeting of Council. This requires that the person submit on or before noon Thursday before the meeting a request in writing to the Town Clerk to be included in the agenda for that meeting. The request will identify every person who proposes to address Council, a detailed description of the nature of the presentation, including if there is a request for some action by Council. There are limitations on the length of time available for presentations.
The Town Clerk accepts applications from persons seeking appointment by Council to the various committees and boards that have been established by Council. The terms of appointment for most of the committees is two years, however, some have legislated terms of four years concurrent with the term of Council.
The Town Clerk is Division Registrar for purposes of the Vital Statistics Act, and pursuant to that legislation and Regulations, registers all deaths and may register stillbirths that occur in Fort Frances and the unincorporated area within the Rainy River District.
The Town Clerk is the manager of corporate records of the municipality and holds the designation from the Mayor as Head of the municipal institution for purposes of carrying out the Head’s responsibilities under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). Requests for disclosure of corporate records under the MFIPPA are to be directed to the Town Clerk for consideration/processing.
- Receives and approves requests for door-to-door canvassing for fundraising by charitable groups.
- Receives and approves applications for parades/processions on Town streets/sidewalks.
- Receives and approves temporary closure of Town streets for eligible special events.
- Receives and processes applications and issues licenses (business, lottery, marriage, etc.)
- Performs civic marriage services throughout the Rainy River District
- Commissions sworn affidavits and declarations as a Commissioner of Oaths in Ontario
- Certifies true copies of original documents
- Is the official responsible for co-ordinating liability and property damage claims lodged against the municipality and those that are lodged against others by the municipality.
Glenn W. Treftlin, Town Clerk
Phone: 807-274-5323 ext. 236
Kathryn M. Lawson, Deputy Town Clerk
Phone: 807-274-5323 ext. 257
320 Portage Avenue
Fort Frances, ON P9A 3P9
Please contact us if additional information or more detail on any of the above is required.
(Last revised on October 21, 2011)